• Users Online: 997
  • Print this page
  • Email this page
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2013  |  Volume : 4  |  Issue : 2  |  Page : 90-92

Smokers' hair: Does smoking cause premature hair graying?


1 Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University Hospital, The University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
2 Department of General Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University Hospital, The University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
3 Department of Anesthesia, Faculty of Medicine, Jordan University Hospital, The University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
4 Department of Biopharmaceutics and Clinical Pharmacy, Faculty of Pharmacy, Jordan University Hospital, The University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan

Correspondence Address:
Ayman A Zayed
Department of Medicine, Jordan University Hospital, P.O. Box - 13046, Amman
Jordan
Login to access the Email id

Source of Support: None, Conflict of Interest: None


DOI: 10.4103/2229-5178.110586

Rights and Permissions

Aims: To determine if there is a significant association between premature hair graying and cigarette smoking. Materials and Methods: A cross-sectional observational study was conducted in a nonclinical setting on 207 participants on August 24 until 25, 2010. Participants were classified into two groups [premature hair graying (PHG) and normal hair graying]. PHG was defined as the first appearance of gray hair before the age of 30. Data were collected using an interview questionnaire and measurements of body mass index, waist circumference, fasting blood glucose and blood pressure. Collected data were statistically analyzed using SPSS 16, Chicago, IL. Results: Of the 207 subjects, 104 (50.2%) had first appearance of gray hair before the age of 30 (PHG group) while the other 103 (49.8%) were considered normal hair graying group. The prevalence of smokers in the "PHG" group was higher (40.2% vs. 24.7%, P = 0.031). Smokers had earlier onset of hair graying (smokers: 31 (7.4) vs. nonsmokers: 34 (8.6), P = 0.034). Using multiple logistic regression with conditional likelihood, smokers were two and half times (95% CI: 1.5-4.6) more prone to develop PHG. Conclusion: This study suggests that there is a significant relation (with adjusted odds ratio of two and half) between onset of gray hair before the age of 30 and cigarette smoking.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed4080    
    Printed87    
    Emailed3    
    PDF Downloaded570    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 4    

Recommend this journal